- Decide in advance of meetings to actively seek at least one opportunity to speak up; step up to the audience mic to ask a question at conferences you attend.
- Look for opportunities to get additional experience and exposure in your volunteer life, where the stakes may be lower.
- Consider crafting a 10 to 20-minute presentation on a timely issue about which you have an informed opinion and can provide others with useful information — either in your professional or personal life.
- Apply some of the strategies shared here to enhance your ability to engage audiences.
- Rehearse it aloud, record yourself with your smartphone, get feedback from a friend or colleague.